Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Broccoli Beef

Some of you may have noticed that I post a lot of chicken and rice recipes. That's usually what I migrate toward. Jason's mom grew up in the Phillipines so she served rice with every meal, therefore Jason's a big fan of rice since that's what he grew up on. So, last week I was feeling like some good beef. It had been a while since I'd had some good ol' fashioned red meat, so I googled broccoli beef recipes and this is what I came up with. It's from simply recipes I've adapted a little to suit our taste. Jason and I really liked it. It was so fresh-tasting and yummy and it didn't take that long to make (the recipe looks like it takes a lot of work and time, but it's actually pretty quick and easy). We ate the whole thing in one sitting (he ate most of it), but I was kind of sad that I couldn't have any leftovers for my lunch.

Ingredients:
3/4 lb flank or sirloin, sliced thinly across the grain (I used sirloin and it was great)
3/4 lb broccoli florets (I just used one whole bunch)
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 cloves minced garlic
1 teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in 1 tablespoon water

For the beef marinade:
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp dry sherry (I just bought the "Dry Sherry Cooking Wine." It's located by the vinegars in my wal-mart)
1/2 tsp cornstarch
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper

For the sauce:
2 Tbsp oyster sauce (Jason would die if I used oyster sauce, so I substituted 1 Tbsp worcestershire and 1 Tbsp water)
1 tsp dry sherry
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1/4 c chicken broth (I just mixed chicken bouillon granules with water)

Method:
1.Marinate the beef: stir together the beef marinade ingredients in a medium bowl. Add the beef slices and stir until coated. Let stand for 10 mins.
2. Stir together sauce ingredients in small bowl
3. Blanch the broccoli: cook the broccoli in a small pot of boiling, salted water until tender-crisp (about 2 mins). Drain thoroughly.
4. Heat a large frying pan or wok over high heat until a bead of water sizzles and instantly evaporates. Add cooking oil and swirl to coat. Add beef and immediately spread the beef out all over the surface in a single layer. Let the beef fry undisturbed for one minute. Flip the beef slices over, add the garlic and fry an additional 30 sec to one minute until beef is no loger pink. Pour in the sauce, add broccoli, and bring to a boil. Pour in the dissolved cornstarch and cook, stirring, until the sauce boils and thickens, 30 seconds. Serve over rice, and enjoy!

1 comment:

Natalee said...

Oh Wow Bops, this sounds SO GOOD! I think I'm going to make Mandarin Chicken and Broccoli Beef for all the Wexels' on Sunday for dinner. :) I'm so excited! :)