Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Italian Chili

Last week we went to Wyoming and spent Easter with my family. It's become a tradition that when we drive through Missoula, we stop at Johnny Carino's for lunch. This time when we stopped there I ordered their soup and salad. I got the Italian chili and I thought it was delicious. So when we returned home, I decided to do a google search for the recipe and I couldn't find one! The closest thing I came across was an ingredient listing, but that wasn't much help. So, I decided to make my own recipe for it. You know how I hate to brag about my cooking...ok maybe not...but anyway, this turned out really good. Very similar to the Carino's one, but Jason actually said it was better. I will say though, that if you don't like a lot of meat in your soup or if you don't want it to be very spicy, then just do 1/2 pound of sausage. Also, I only used one can of beans because Jason's not a big fan of them, but I would have used 2 if I were just making it for myself because I like them. OK, so here's my very own made-up version of Carino's Italian Chili. Hope you like it!

Italian Chili
1/2 lb - 1 lb ground Italian sausage
1 bell pepper, chopped
1/2 to 1 onion, chopped
2 (11.5 oz) cans Campbells tomato juice (you can find it next to the V8 in the juice section)
1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
1 c. chicken broth (or bouillon)
1 clove minced garlic
1 - 2 cans navy beans (or any other white bean you like)
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
salt and pepper to taste

Brown sausage with pepper and onion then drain the fat. Add tomato juice, broth, tomatoes, garlic, beans and spices to the meat mixture. Bring to a boil then simmer for 20 minutes. Add whipping cream then salt and pepper . Top with plenty of parmesan and enjoy!

4 comments:

Korbi said...

do you think I could do hamburger instead of sausage, neither of us are a big fan of sausage

Natalee said...

Wow Bops! You really are quite the little chef!! I'll have to try this one. It sounds good, especially with all the snow I'm looking at outside right now! :)

Bethany said...

You could probably do hamburger, but you might want to add some more seasoning to the soup since the sausage adds so much flavor. Let me know how it works out, Korbi. Natalee, you have snow!? I don't mean to make you jealous...but it's so nice here. Supposed to be 80 this weekend. Man, UT sucks :)

Megan said...

Korbi....how could you NOT be a fan of sausage? I totally HAVE to meet you...seriously? Have you HAD sausage?? Ok...I'll let it go...you look pretty cute...;-) Bethany...funny...we always stop there too! I promise to call the next time I plan on going to Montana...seriously...I would love to see you and Danna! xo! Meg