Saturday, February 14, 2009

Perfect Cake Mix Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream Frosting

I really should have posted this a few days BEFORE Valentine's day so you could make them for your lover...haha. Anyway, I found this recipe on Real Mom Kitchen.
I thought it was a cute Valentine's treat so I tried them and I think they're pretty tasty. I think I'll always use this cupcake recipe from now on. I've always had problems with my cupcakes. They'll usually have a flat top. These ones actually had a cute little rounded top- just the way a cupcake should! Perfect Cake Mix Cupcakes
1 box of cake mix
1 cup buttermilk* (in place of water called for on box)
vegetable oil (amount called for on box)
4 eggs (instead of number called for on box)

Preheat oven to 350. Line muffin tins with paper liners. Mix according to directions on box. Fill liners 2/3 full and bake for 12-20 mins (I know this is a broad range of time. Mine were done at 15 mins).
*If you don't have buttermilk, you can make your own by putting a tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar in your liquid measuring cup. Then pour enough milk over that to make a cup. Let it sit for 5 mins and you've made your own buttermilk!

Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
1 cup of butter, room temperature
5-6 cups powdered sugar
1/2 c. seedless strawberry jam
food coloring

Mix butter and jam with mixer until jam is well incorporated. Add powdered sugar, one cup at a time. Put a few drops of red food coloring in. If it's too thick you can add a little milk.

3 comments:

Natalee said...

Oh Boppy! You have the best recipes! Every time I make something really good Chris asks..."Is this another Boppy meal?" Usually the answer is yes! I'm excited to try this one too! They sound Yummy!

Bethany said...

Really? I'm so flattered. I like Chris :)

Natalee said...

Yes Really! :)