Friday, May 1, 2009

Turkey Corn Tacos with Fresh Salsa

Sorry I have been such a slacker about posting!  But, I do have a few good recipes that I have been meaning to post.  I will start with this one, since it would go so great with Bop's Blender Salsa.  (I can't wait to try that, by the way!)  They made this on the Biggest Loser, and it looked so yummy I had to try it.  It was so delicious!  I couldn't find the Scotty's fresh salsa verde, so I just bought a tub of fresh salsa that my grocery store carried and used that.  You would never even guess you are eating ground turkey, so keep that in mind if you are new to cooking with it.

1-1/4 lb. ground white turkey meat
Salt and pepper to taste
1 x 15-ounce can organic black beans, no salt added
9 ounce tub Scotty's Low Sodium Fresh Salsa Verde
Cholula Hot Sauce to taste
1/2 bunch scallions, chopped

Fresh Salsa:
2 medium heirloom tomatoes, diced
1/2 white onion, diced
1/2 jalapeno, chopped finely
2/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Juice of 2 limes


8 corn tortillas. (used six-inch tortillas)
1/2 cup Fage Greek Yogurt 0% or 2% (used fat free)
1-1/2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
1 avocado, sliced

DIRECTIONS

1. Heat a large sauté pan over med-high heat.  Add ground turkey andSeason lightly with salt and pepper and cook stirring to break up meat. When turkey is golden brown and cooked through, add black beans and salsa and continue to cook until hot throughout. Season to taste with Cholula Hot Sauce and stir in scallions.

2. Meanwhile, combine diced tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, cilantro and lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

3. Over an open flame, char tortillas, flipping once, until each side it slightly blackened. Keep warm.

4. Serve tortillas with turkey mixture, fresh salsa, yogurt, lettuce and sliced avocado.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Wow, I'll have to try it. Ground turkey really isn't too bad. Have you tried the italian turkey sausage? It's pretty good too. I'll have to make this one...although I don't think I'll be using the weird yogurt cheese. That's just taking it a little to far.