Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Chicken Enchiladas

This is MY favorite meal, and it's actually really easy to make. I used to be scared to try it because it looks like a lot of work, but it's really not bad at all. In fact it is what we are having for dinner tonight, so I figured I would put it up here since I have the recipe out anyway.


Ingredients:

1 whole chicken cooked and de-boned
1 lb grated longhorn cheese
1 can chiles, peeled, roasted & chopped (There is a can of chilies that is sold in the grocery store that actually says this, "peeled, roasted & chopped")
1 med onion, sauteed until tender
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 c. chicken broth
1 c. half and half
8-12 flour tortillas

Directions:

Mix chicken, 1/2 of cheese, chilies and onion. For those of you who may be "stupid" like me, (I didn't know how to cook a whole chicken....) I'll put those instructions in here too. Place the whole chicken in a pot of water with salt and pepper. Make sure the water covers or almost covers the chicken. Let the chicken cook on the stove top for an hour or so depending on how big your chicken is. Drain the water out, and after it cools, take the meat off the bones. Now you have a cooked de-boned chicken! :) If you don't want to take the time to do all of that, I used to just buy the bags of chicken breasts and cook them and then cut them into little pieces. Wrap a spoonful of your chicken mixture into your flour tortillas and lay them in a greased casserole dish.

In a seperate bowl add your chicken soup, chicken broth, and half and half. Mix together with a wire whisk and then pour sauce over your tortillas and finally top with the rest of your cheese. Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees.

2 comments:

Megan said...

hahahahah! Yep...I was going through my files to see what I could contribute...and literally ALL my favorites are from you guys! In fact...the "birthday" meal is always a toss up between the Chicken Cordon Bleu...or Natalee's Favorite Enchiladas. ;-)This truly is my favorite recipe ever too! mmmmmmmm I'm hungry again!

Megan said...

Wait...I like this one too...but the OTHER Enchilada recipe is my favorite...I guess I didn't read the title, because when I read down and you said it was 'easy' I thought to myself..."What is she smokin?" This one is easy and delicious, and I'M going to make this tonight...but...the OTHER super complicated...one is my true favorite! Now I'm REALLY hungry!