Thursday, September 25, 2008

Taco Pizza

I invented this recipe about a year ago when I was having a HUGE craving for taco pizza from Pizza on the Run. ( you Powell girls will appreciate this as well as a craving that I have for Taco Johns) Because we live in a super small town and have one fast food restaurant, you at times have to be inventive. My parents have been visiting when I have made this and my dad swears it even better than Pizza on the Run.


1 package Rhodes frozen pizza dough ( you can used the frozen Rhodes bread loaves if you can't find the pizza dough, they are pretty much the same, they contain 3 loaves and will make enough crust for 2 pizzas)

cooking spray
garlic salt

1 to 1/2 lbs hamburger
1 can refried beans ( rosaritas is the best)
1 16 oz jar pace picante salsa (we use the mild kind)


Place bread dough on large cutting board, spray with cooking spray and let thaw and raise for 4-5 hours. Cut 1 loaf and half and combine it with a whole loaf. Roll with a rolling pin to desired size. I have used a jelly roll pan, as well as a 16 inch pizza pan, both are fantastic. Poke holes in the crust with a fork, spray a light coating of cooking spray and sprinkle lightly with garlic salt.

In a large frying pan, brown hamburger and drain fat. Add can of refried beans and 1/2 jar of picante sauce(8 oz). Mix well and spread onto pizza crust.

Bake pizza at 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until crust is brown and cooked through. Since everyone at my house likes something different, we cut the pizza and then add our own toppings. Here's what we put on ours:

cheddar cheese
lettuce
tomato
onion
olives
sour cream
picante sauce
green onions

I usually make one taco pizza and use the other dough to make a pepperoni pizza because my kids are picky.

1 comment:

Megan said...

OH....I LOVE Taco pizza!!! YUM! I'm going to try this! It sounds so easy!? I made the coffe cake...and WOW! It was gone in about 5 min. AND??!!...I used 1/2 and 1/2...I can't wait to try it with REAL cream!