Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Cafe Rio Chicken Salad

If you have not been to UT or AZ to get hooked on Cafe Rio, you may not appreciate this recipe as much as I do.  Since I am 600 miles from the real thing, I have to make my own, and this is pretty close.  Not the real thing, but very yummy!  This is pretty labor intensive, and it serves 20 if you make it as directed, so save this one for when you have company.  


Suggestion: If you are not up for all the work, but want a quick, easy, and yummy meal, make just the chicken.  It is so easy and tasty.  Then, use it in tacos or enchiladas.  I make quick enchiladas all the time this way.  (I got this idea from my brother Collin, who made them for me when I visited.)  Just roll the chicken with some cheese (Collin used black beans too) in tortillas.  Top with red enchilada sauce and more cheese (I use canned sauce for convenience - but Collin made his from scratch.  It was better, so if you have the time, do it that way.  I don't have his recipe, sorry.)   Bake at 350 until cheese is melted.  So yummy and super easy!  But, don't let this idea sway you from trying the whole recipe below!  It's worth it!



Chicken

5 lbs chicken breast, boneless/skinless

1 sm. Bottle zesty Italian dressing

1 Tbsp chili powder

1 Tbsp cumin

3 garlic cloves, minced

Mix all ingredients together in a large crockpot.  Cook on high for 5-7 hours.  Remove chicken and shred with fork.  Reserve a small amount of juice and pour over shredded chicken to keep moist.  Keep warm.


Tomatillo Dressing

1 pkg Hidden Valley buttermilk ranch dressing mix

1 cup buttermilk

1 cup mayo

2 tomatillos

1 garlic clove minced

½ bunch cilantro, chopped

1 tsp lime juice

1 small jalapeno, seeds removed

Blend ingredients together in a blender.  Add additional mayo if dressing is too thin.  Keep refrigerated.


Lime Rice

In a small pan, sauté:

2 Tbsp butter

1 yellow onion, chopped

4 garlic cloves, minced


In a large pot, bring to boil the following:

6 cups water

2 ½ Tbsp chicken buillon

½ bunch cilantro, chopped

2 tsp cumin

2 small cans diced green chilies

1 Tbsp lime juice

½ tsp salt

Add onion and garlic to boiling water.  Add 3 cups long grain rice.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.


Pico de Gallo

4 fresh tomatoes, chopped

1 white onion, chopped

¼ bunch cilantro, chopped

2 garlic cloves, minced 

1 tsp lime juice

1 tsp salt

½ tsp pepper

Combine together in a medium bowl


Serve in the following order:

Tortilla w/ shredded cheese melted on it

Chicken

Black or pinto beans

Lime rice

Red and green leaf lettuce, 

Pico de Gallo

Guacamole

Fresh cilantro

Parmesan cheese

Fresh lime slices 

Tomatilla dressing



3 comments:

Natalee said...

OH...these are the salads we missed out on!! They sound so good, and I bet they aren't far off from the real thing! I know we don't live far from a Cafe Rio, but I often crave the dressing, and now I can just make it! YUM!

Megan said...

are you kidding me? Now I have to try it...I've never been to Cafe Rio...but I know if you are dedicated to make this complex LONG...recipe...it must be good...I'll let you know how it goes! xo Meg

Bethany said...

Good for your for taking the TIME to type this long one up. It truly is good. Thanks for sacrificing your fingers so that we can all have a little piece of heaven...a cafe rio salad. Meg, you've never had cafe rio?! It's worth the long drive to UT just to eat this salad.