Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Frozen Cranberry Salad

Ok...here it is- My (Megan's) favorite Thanksgiving recipe. Now it's going to sound like a let-down, but if I had to pick ONE thing to make for Thanksgiving...and eat...this would be it. It must be a throwback to the 50's because it uses mayonnaise...and it sounds kinda gross, but it isn't! I'm not one for canned cranberries plopped on my plate, and this is the perfect alternative. It's frozen, and compliments the turkey, stuffing, pretty much everything on the plate, and while you're eating it kind of melts, and is oh so yummy melding with all the different flavors...so...you probably don't have time to make it if you've already done your shopping this year, but test it out sometime, and make it NEXT year, or at Christmas!

1 Can Jellied Cranberry Sauce (not the whole cranberries)
2 T lemon Juice

Beat the above two ingredients together until saucy. Spoon into bottom of a loaf pan rinsed with cold water. (Watter droplets are fine...and help later for releasing this from the pan)

1 C Whipping Cream (whip until stiff peaks form, and then add...)
1/4 C Powdered Sugar

After that, fold in

1/4 C Mayonnaise, and 1/2 C Chopped nuts (my mom uses walnuts, I like pecans)

Spoon this creamy mixture over the cranberry sauce, and freeze for about 3 hours. It thaws fast, so it should probably be one of the last things on the table. I serve it in about 1 inch slices...sort of like banana bread. To loosen from the pan, I dip the bottom of the pan in hot water...but mostly it thaws so fast I don't have to. I've also doubled it and made it in a cake pan.

1 comment:

Danna said...

Sounds yummy! I'm making it tomorrow!