Monday, November 24, 2008

Pie Crust

So if you are feeling domestic and want to make your pies totally homemade, this is the pie crust recipe my mom uses, and I have to say, it is pretty darn good! It is also really easy! I made my first pie when I was like 12, I had to do a demonstration for Young Women's and you all KNOW that I am far from "domestic". The crust is always really flaky and yummy, plus you get about 6 pie shells out of it so you can make all kinds of yummy pies!

Ingredients:

4 c. flour
1/4 c. maragrine
1 Tbsp. Vinegar
About 1/2 c. of water
1 1/2 c. lard (yeah I know, yuck, but this is what makes them flaky and good!)
1 Tbsp. Sugar
1 egg
2 tsp. salt

Directions:

Combine flour, salt, sugar. With a Pastry Blender cut in lard and margarine into pea-sized pieces. In separate bowl beat together egg and vinegar. Add enough water to make 1 cup of liquid. Stir liquid into your dry mixture and mix just till moistened.

6 comments:

Megan said...

lard...nati...really?

Megan said...

actually I made the Chicken and Cream Cheese thing yesterday with pork...and I did it in the oven...and everyone RAVED! So...I've been looking for a pie crust for years...but I'm going to be embarrassed to buy LARD at my grocery store. Are you sure Crisco doesn't work as well? XOXO...Meg

Natalee said...

You'll have to take the lard thing up with my mom...it's her recipe, and she swears by it. She says it's what makes her pie's so good and I'm sure you have had one or two of her pies. Or maybe Danna has another suggestion? She's more of a pie maker then I am.

Megan said...

no...you're right...I just know it. Every time I have truly excellent pie crust I ask what's in it and it's always lard...I have never made REAL pie crust before, but I'm going to try this recipe this year and I will let you know how it goes!! ;-)Thanks Nati!

Danna said...

Thanks for posting the recipe! I seriously just logged on to post it, and you already had. So, now I don't have to. Yes, you have to use the lard! I know, it sounds gross, but that is the secret. You could use Crisco if you can't bring yourself to buy "lard", but it won't be as good. :) I just e-mailed this recipe to my friend. We were talking pies, and she said her crust is never good. She uses Crisco. I'm telling you ....

Danna said...

Megan - didn't you promise us your favorite Thanksgiving recipe awhile ago? :)