Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Mandarin Chicken


I don't mean to keep tooting my own horn, but this recipe is a keeper. I actually found it on someone else's food blog. I think it's called sisters cafe. I don't know them or anything, but I happened upon their blog and thought this one looked yummy. (This is actually my picture- I didn't steal theirs). Anyway, I made this a few nights ago and it was so good. Dare I say that it beats the chinese food at China Town in Powell. Yes, Natalee, it's way better than their orange chicken. Do they even have orange chicken? Anyway, you guys should definitely try this one!
Mandarin Chicken
3-4 chicken breasts
1/2 c flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 beaten eggs
1/2 c boiling water with 1 chicken bouillon cube
1/4 c. ketchup
1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
3/4 c sugar
1/2 c vinegar
1 small can mandarin oranges
roasted, salted, sliced almonds
Mix flour with salts and pepper. Put in bag. Cut chicken breasts into bite sized pieces and dip them in eggs then put them in flour bag. Heat oil in skillet and brown chicken pieces. Mix bouillon, ketchup, worcestershire, sugar, and vinegar and bring to a boil. Put chicken in a 9x13 pan then pour sauce on top. Bake uncovered at 350 for one hour. Baste chicken a few times. When done, top with oranges and almonds and serve over rice. (Note: I didn't have the almonds, so I obviously didn't use them and it still tasted great. In fact, it didn't really NEED the oranges either, but I definitely liked having them in there.)

3 comments:

Danna said...

Thanks for posting, Bop! Both those recipes look yummy! We will try them soon!

Natalee said...

Oh I'm so glad you posted this!! I have been wanting to make Orange chicken but every recipe I have found is some complicated mess that I'm just not brave enough to try! This looks do able, and I don't know if China Town has Orange Chicken or not. :) I haven't been there if forever. You are quite the little Betty Crocker!

Liz said...

Hi, Danna, Bethany and Natalee! I was doing some catching up on different blogs yesterday when I saw this link. You guys have some really great recipes that I am excited to try. I am a sucker for a good recipe. I especially love recipes that are recomnended by people I know. It has been fun to read your blogs and keep up on how each of you are doing. Natalee, I had to laugh about your Black Friday experience. I went out one year and it was crazy. Now that I live in Heber I have lost my black friday motivation to get up that early to drive 30 minutes to the nearest Walamart! Keric must be a good baby to sleep through a Black Friday morning at Walmart! I just wanted to say hello and keep the good recipes coming!