Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Chocolate Cream Pie

Thanksgiving is around the corner, so I thought I should post my favorite pie recipe!  When we spend Thanksgiving with the Nelsons, I make the pies, and the chocolate is always the favorite.  It is, of course, my mom's recipe.  But in Washington, I take all the credit for this one.  :) 

Heat in a saucepan on the stove, stirring very frequently:
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 square unsweetened chocolate

Wisk together, until smooth:
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
3 tbsp corn starch
1 tsp. vanilla
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk

Once the milk is heated and the chocolate is melted, add the above mixture to your saucepan.  Stir constantly until it boils and becomes thick like pudding.

Pour into prepared pie shell.  (I can post my crust recipe too, later)  Place plastic wrap directly on top of hot pudding to prevent it from forming a skin.  Refrigerate overnight or at least 4 hours.  Top with whipped cream (has to be the real stuff, heavy whipping cream, whipped at home!  No cool whip or stuff from the can! :)  Shave chocolate on top as a garnish.

Variation:
If you are like Natalee, you prefer Coconut Cream Pie.  Make this the same way, but do not add the unsweetened chocolate at the beginning.  In your prepared pie crust, put a layer of coconut, half the pudding, another layer of coconut, the rest of the pudding, and then the whipped cream.  Garnish top with more coconut.  Also really yummy!  I usually make both kinds for our Thanksgiving feast.

Enjoy!  


4 comments:

Natalee said...

I make those same pies for the Wexels Thanksgivng too! I also makethe peanut butter one! :) I love them all! It's hard to pick a "favorite" anymore.

Anonymous said...

Ok....dumb question. How do you make homemade whipped cream? That is one thing I have never done before.......

Danna said...

D, you really haven't lived yet! Buy heavy whipping cream, in the dairy section near the milk. For every cup of cream, add about 2 tbsp sugar and 1/2 tsp vanilla. Whip with an electic mixer until soft peaks form. So much better than the anything you can buy at the store!
And Nat, you should post the peanut butter pie recipe. I don't have that one. Maybe I'll throw the Nelson's a curve ball and make it. :)

Anonymous said...

So heavy whipping cream and not just whipping cream? Yummy! Actually I have made whipped cream when I worked at Mountain Mudd, but we just added flavor and the cream and then shook it. The air cartridge thing did the rest. Thanks for your help :)